Orange's population: 679. A downtown merchant, Robert L. Crowder, plants pepper trees around the square.
Snow in Orange.
First newspaper, Orange Tribune, begins publication (renamed the Orange Weekly Post in 1889). Orange Public Library Association is established June 15th by Robert E. Tener, who donated 300 volumes. Library occupies rooms over old post office.
Second local newspaper, Orange News begins publishing. A park is laid out in the center of the Plaza. WCTU holds "June Jubilee" fundraiser to raise money for fountain. National Bank of Orange (on the east side of the Plaza facing Chapman), the town's first bank, is incorporated November 15.
New fountain for center of Plaza Park arrives in March. To cover outstanding debt of the Plaza Fountain Fund, an original play, The Plaza: A Local Drama in Five Acts, is written and presented. Private water system is installed, using reservoir at corner of Chapman and Shaffer. Santa Fe Railroad enters Orange in March, 4 blocks west of the Plaza.
Two streetcar lines begin service to Orange and the Plaza. The Santa Ana, Tustin and Orange Street Railway operates between Santa Ana and Orange. A second horse-car line runs between Orange and Earlham (El Modena) and McPherson. Real Estate prices reach new heights: lots that sold for $400 in 1883 now sell for $1,500. City of Orange is incorporated April 6th.
Population drops from 1,100 to 866.
Orange County created, carved from Los Angeles County, March 11. Orange vies for County Seat, but loses out to Santa Ana.