We are responsible for the administration of building regulations, which are designed to safeguard life, health, property, and the public welfare. Our job to ensure that the design and construction of all buildings and structures within our City meet these standards.
Our friendly and knowledgeable Permit Technicians are available at the City Hall Building Division counter at 300 E. Chapman Ave. They can also be reached by phone at (714) 744-7200 if you have building related inquiries. They are also happy to calculate (and collect) your permit and development fees, issue permits, and provide review of smaller projects.
If you need your plans reviewed, our Plan Check staff are also available at our front counter. They will go over your residential, commercial, and industrial construction plans, as well as review tenant improvement and residential improvement projects.
Inspections on construction projects are conducted by our staff to verify compliance with Building, Plumbing, Electrical, Mechanical, and Local Ordinances. Our Building Inspectors are empowered to issue "stop work notices" for projects without appropriate City permits.
You can schedule building inspections by calling (714) 744-7216. Searchable inspection services and building permit information is available here.
Building Division Forms
Our Building counter is open and appointments are available. To make an appointment, please click here. For your convenience, the following forms may be filled out online prior to being submitted in person. Please note that starting March 29, 2021, all new submittals will be accepted in person ONLY.
- - 2019 Building FAQs
- - 2019 CODE UPDATE
- - 2019 NEW CODE ANNOUNCEMENT
- 2016 Non-Residential Green Building Code
- 2016 Residential Green Building Code
- Commercial Plan Submittal Checklist (PDF).pdf
- Commercial Plan Worksheet (PDF)
- CommercialACHandout (002)
- Erosion Control Sediment Control and Water Quality Notes (PDF)
- Homeowner "Owner Builder" Information Sheet (10-2011) (PDF)
- Orange Development Fees
- Patio Cover Details (PDF)
- Permit Exemptions - Commercial
- Permit Exemptions - Residential
- Photovoltaic Checklist (PDF)
- Police Security Notes for Plans - Commercial
- Police Security Notes for Plans - Residential
- Pool Demo (PDF)
- Red Fire Ant Form
- Request Alternate Material
- Residential Letter of Authorization (PDF)
- Residential Plan Review List (PDF)
- Residential Solar Streamline Processing (PDF)
- Residential Solar Submittal Requirements (PDF)
- Residential Submittal Checklist (PDF).pdf
- Sign Attachment - CMU
- Sign Attachment - Concrete
- Sign Attachment - Metal 1
- Sign Attachment - Metal 2
- Sign Attachment - Wood & Metal
- Sign Attachment - Wood 1
- Sign Attachment - Wood 2
- Sign Lighting
- Site Plan (example)(PDF)
- Special Inspection Program
- Structural Observation Report
- Unreasonable Hardship Documentation (Revised March 2013) (PDF)