Short Term Rentals
The Short Term Rental (STR) ordinance is effective June 10, 2021. The registration/application process will begin in the fall later this year.
If you have not already been added to our interest list, please submit your name, phone number, email address, and short term rental address to email@example.com.
You can view the ordinance here.
What is a Short Term Rental?
The City of Orange defines a short term rental as the rental of a residential unit for 30 days or less.
What permits are required if I want to use my property for a short term rental?
Any owner of a property in a zone that allows residential uses, except in mobile home parks, who wishes to rent all or a portion of a property for a period of thirty (30) days or less is required to obtain a short term rental permit ($250) and a business license ($260).
What is Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT)?
TOT is a tax owed to the City by anyone who occupies a room for thirty (30) days or less within the City of Orange. This tax must be paid to the owner or the listing platform on behalf of the City of Orange. Taxable receipts INCLUDE, but are not limited to, nightly rents, weekly rents, standard cleaning fees, pet fees, internet charges, late check-out fees, and extra person fees. Taxable receipts EXCLUDE refundable deposits, platform fees, and any additional items included in a special package rate, such as resort tickets, or other recreational activity, or additional service subject to CA sales tax
TOT is required to be collected commencing October 1, 2021 and remitted to the City on a monthly basis, regardless of STR permit status. If an STR booking was made prior to July 1, 2021, with TOT not included in the cost of the rental, it will not be assessed; however, TOT receipts are subject to audit.
What are the criteria for my property to qualify as a short term rental?
In addition to the criteria listed in the STR ordinance:
- A permit will only be issued for a property owned by an individual or a personal trust. Priority is given to City of Orange residents and owner-occupied properties.
- Permits are limited to two properties per owner and are allowed only in zones which allow residential uses, except mobile home zones.
- Occupancy is subject to a two night minimum stay.
- Off-street parking is required.
- An initial inspection of the rental is required.
Required Documents for Registration
In addition to the information required by the STR permit and business license application:
- Diagram of location of property and parking.
- Executed indemnification document. Sample
- Proof of liability insurance.
- If applicable, a Trust Certification. Sample
Does the City have rules for short term rentals?
Yes, each short term rental permit has a standard list of rules which must be adhered to at all times. Please see the Short Term Rental Permitting Conditions here. Additionally, a permit may be conditioned to address any problems or concerns specific to the property.