Dust off your sewing kits and fire up those glue guns! Design a costume and dress up as your favorite character from any fandom—book, comics, television, or movie—or invent your own original character. Then strut your stuff onstage for a chance to win prizes!
- Registration entry forms are available online until September 12, 2020*. Check in at the Welcome Booth from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. A limited number of “day of” registrants will be accepted on September 19, 2020*.
- Contestants 17 and under must have parent/guardian sign the entry form on the day of the event.
- Cosplay competition will take place at 2:30 p.m. in the Teen Zone.
- Age groups: Newborn-12; 13-17; and 18+.
Children 12 and under may wear store-bought costumes but are encouraged to enhance the costume. Teens and Adults: Costumes may be store-bought but must be modified by at least 50-75%.
- Judging Criteria:
- Contestants must provide a reference source for their costume. Judges are not familiar with every movie, TV series, or video game.
- Judges’ decisions are final.
The Library reserves the right to refuse entry to any costume that the Library deems inappropriate.
- Only one costume per contestant allowed.
- Contestants under age 13 MUST have a parent/guardian present in the library.
- For safety reasons, footwear must be worn at all times.
- No skates, rollerblades, skateboards, etc.
- No nudity, adult content, gore, violence, or hate symbols allowed. This is a family-friendly event.
- Weapons and/or props must be made of plastic or foam and obviously fake. Weapons/props not meeting this guideline are NOT permitted. Blades and working projectiles (including but not limited to water pistols, silly string, and slingshots) are not allowed.
- No battles.
- Contestant must be present to win when winners are announced on the day of the event at 3 p.m. or after competition has ended.
- Personal belongings are not to be left unattended. The Orange Public Library is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Oversized costumes are discouraged as library walkways and rooms may not accommodate your costume.
- All contestants must be respectful of cosplay contest organizers, judges, library staff, and library patrons. Inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated.
- All contestants are responsible for abiding by the Library Rules of Conduct.
These guidelines apply to every person in costume. With the exception of makeup, masks must be removable and done so at Orange Public Library staff request. Staff have the right to modify these rules on the spot. The Orange Public Library reserves the right to refuse entry or ask any person to leave at any time due to an inappropriate costume. Cosplay is not consent, please treat others with respect.
*For the health and safety of our patrons, volunteers, and staff, this event may be postponed or cancelled due to stay-at-home or social gathering mandates.