Vehicle Release

Vehicle releases may be obtained Monday through Friday between 8 am to 6 pm and Saturday from 8am to 2pm.

​​The registered owner must be present with a valid government issued identification card in order to receive a release. If the registered owner is unable to visit the Records Bureau, a notarized authorization letter must be submitted to our department which states a specific person is able to have the vehicle released to them.

​Items needed to obtain a vehicle release:

  • Valid government issued identification card (i.e. driver's license, ID card, passport).
  • ​Vehicle must be currently registered.
  • ​A "Moving Permit", issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, if the vehicle is in need of smog certification or other applicable reasons.
​​Legal owners must present required repossession paperwork as stated in California Vehicle Code 14602.6(1)(E)(3).