We'd like to welcome you to the City of Orange Public Works. Our staff has designed this site to provide useful information to the public about the programs and services our department provides to the community. The entire Public Works team invites you to explore these pages and learn more about our department and the work we do for our community. These pages will be periodically updated to keep you informed on City programs and special events. The Department of Public Works is committed to providing the highest level of service to our community and this website is just one of the ways we can achieve our objective. Enjoy your visit and once again welcome.
- Ensure completion of all Public Works projects in the Capital Improvement Plan in a cost-effective and timely manner.
- Facilitate development activity within the City by implementing efficient processing procedures which will ensure compliance with the City's codes and vision for the future.
- Ensure a cost-effective, safe and dependable potable water supply to meet all residential, commercial/industrial and fire protection needs of the City.
- Improve safety and reduce congestion through the design, installation, maintenance and operation of the signals, signs, street lights and other traffic control devices necessary to an efficient transportation system.
- Maintain streets, alleys and other right-of-ways in a safe and serviceable condition.
- Contract and monitor, to ensure quality service, refuse collection in compliance with applicable City, state and federal regulations.
- Regularly inspect and service the City's sewage and storm drain collection systems and implement the requirements of the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) and Waste Discharge Requirements (WDR) permits.
- Acquire, service and salvage, where appropriate, all City vehicles, including cars, trucks and other non-wheeled equipment, to ensure safe and reliable operation.
- Administer an ongoing program to promote public awareness of and compliance with the need to recycle solid, liquid and hazardous wastes generated in the City.
- Maintain all City facilities in a clean and safe manner; manage new and/or existing facility improvements; coordinate graffiti and shopping cart removal for the City.
- Represent the Public Works Department before the Mayor, Council, City Boards and Commissions; county, state and federal agencies, community groups and organizations in a manner that brings recognition and credit to the organization.
- Monitor rail programs proposed by Metrolink, OCTA and the California High Speed Rail Authority which affect the City and pursue grant opportunities for improvements in rail crossings protection programs that will help reduce noise.