Park Permits

As per the California Department of Public Health ( we are excited to announce we are now issuing permits by appointment only for *Park Picnic Pavilions, Jumpers, and Green Space areas for a maximum of 100 guests.  

For more information about picnic pavilions, jumpers, and open space reservations, and to book an appointment click here.

Park permits are issued on a first come, first reserved basis and are not issued on holidays. Proof of Orange residency in the name of the applicant, such as a current utility bill, bank statement, or car registration, as well as permit fees and deposits are due at the time the permit is issued. Non-residents are welcome to reserve park space, however non-resident permit rates will apply.

Save time during the permit process! Print the Permit Application and Deposit Form at home, fill out what you can, and bring the paperwork along with the proof of residency (if applicable) and permit payment to your appointment.

*Due to current State and County health and safety guidelines, we cannot safely issue permits to all of our Park facilities and amenities at this time. Please continue to check the City’s website and social media posts for updates to facilities and services. As the guidelines change, the City will evaluate options to comply with those new guidelines. 

Hart Park Bandshell Permits 

Groups intending to use the Hart Park Bandshell must also complete a Hart Park Bandshell Permit Application. Please note: the Hart Park Bandshell is reservable between the hours of 12 noon - 5 pm Monday - Sunday (excluding holidays).   

Special Events in the Park Permits - Not permitted at this time

Events that will have 200 or more guests or are not a standard park reservation require a Special Event Permit. Special Event Permit Applications require a minimum of 30 days notice prior to the planned event.

Permit Cancellations

All permit cancellations must be submitted in writing by the permit holder prior to the event date. Please refer to your permit for applicable cancellation fees. Approved permit refunds may take up to 6 weeks to receive.  

Inclement Weather Policy

The City of Orange does not refund permit fees for inclement weather cancellations. Instead permit holders may reschedule their reservation. Permit  rescheduling due to inclement weather must be at the request of the permit holder to the Community Services Department within 24-hours of the cancellation. Rescheduled dates are dependent upon availability and may only be reserved up to three months in advance.
Park Safety Poster

In accordance with current State and County health guidelines, our parks, including the Dog Park at Yorba Park are open for public use, weather permitting.  The public is encouraged to utilize the open space and walking trails to stay healthy, both physically and mentally. Please continue to practice social distancing by staying at least six feet away from those who are not part of your household.  Wash your hands frequently and do not use our parks if you are ill or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms. Group gatherings are prohibited. 

1.  What park amenities are open?

All park amenities including tot lots, outdoor fitness equipment, sports courts and picnic pavilions are open. Please remember to maintain social distance and avoid over crowding.  

2.  Can I book a City facility or picnic pavilion for an event?

Current State and County health guidelines allow for outdoor private events with modifications and a maximum of 100 people. Permits for picnic pavilions, jumpers, and green space are being issued by appointment only.  Click here to book your appointment.  Indoor facilities designed for private events such as the Sports Center at Grijalva Park, Park Community Buildings, and the Senior Center are not available for permits at this time. Please continue to check the City’s website and social media posts for updates to facilities and services.  As health guidelines change, the City will evaluate options to comply with the guidelines

3.  Is the Senior Center open?

The Senior Center remains closed; however, essential services such as meals, case management, and transportation are still available.  The meal congregate program has been replaced with a pick-up meal option.  Homebound seniors will continue to receive Meals-on-Wheels service.  For more information, contact the Senior Center at or at (714) 538-9633.

4.  Are sports groups allowed to play?

The City requires permits to use sports fields for groups of ten (10) persons or more. The City is issuing limited permits for groups who comply with current health guidelines. To obtain a field permit and for more information about the permitting process, please email Tournaments and community events are not permitted at this time.

For any additional questions, please call the Community Services Department at (714) 744-7274 or email