About The CityOfficialsDepartmentsServicesCalendarFAQSContact Us
Homepage > Faqs > Questions and AnswersE-mail storyPrint friendly format

Emergency Information


A fire hydrant has been opened.
Contact the City of Orange Water Plant at (714) 288-2475 or (714) 538-1961 for after-hour emergencies.

A water main has broken.
Contact City of Orange Water Plant at (714) 288-2475 or (714) 538-1961 for after-hour emergencies.

Can I call 9-1-1 from my cell phone?
Yes you can, but keep in mind that 9-1-1 calls from a cell phone will be routed to the California Highway Patrol (CHP).  If you are on the freeway, that is definitely the way to go.  Here in town, you are better off dialing 9-1-1 from a hard-wired phone, pay phone or if you must use a cell phone, dial 633-1313 for emergencies here in the City of Orange.

How long does it take a fire engine to get to a fire or medical emergency after 911 has been called?
It takes between 3-5 minutes for engines to arrive on scene after a 9-1-1 call has been placed.

My sewer is backed up.
It is most likely that the sewer lateral pipe which connects from your house to the sewer main on the street is clogged up or damaged.  The sewer lateral is the responsibility of the home owner. You need to contact a plumber to help you make the necessary repairs.

There is a large swarm of bees on my property. What do I do?

If the bees are posing an immediate threat or there is a multiple bee sting emergency, call 9-1-1 and provide your name, phone number and the location of the bees. Please remain on the line until you are released by the dispatch operator.

If the bees are not presenting an immediate threat, do not disturb them. Call a pest control company located in the yellow pages. 

Because most bee swarm situations occur on private property, the bees must be removed by an experienced bee handler or licensed pest controller hired by the property owner.

If the bees are on City property, City staff will remove them as soon as they are notified.

There is a sewer overflow on the street.
You should report it to City Hall immediately.

During work hours, please call the Street Maintenance Division at (714) 532-6480.

For after hours, please call the Public Works Department emergency number at (714) 538-1961.

What information should I have when reporting a 9-1-1 emergency?

When reporting a 9-1-1 emergency, be prepared to provide the exact location of the emergency, what is involved (auto, home, vegetation, etc.), number of persons involved, your location, and the phone number you are calling from so that you can be recontacted if you become disconnected.

If possible, remain at the scene and provide emergency responders with your eyewitness account of what occurred or what occurred at the time of your arrival at the scene.

Copyright 2002 - 2017 City of Orange, CA Powered by