The Economic Development Division works to bring new businesses to the City of Orange and help existing businesses expand and improve their properties. Here are some highlights of recent developments in Orange that have partnered with the Economic Development Division.
The Outlets At Orange
On June 8, 2010, the City Council of the City of Orange approved a 105,000 square foot expansion plan at the center to add exciting new stores and restaurants along with additional surface parking areas.
The first phase of the expansion plan included the construction of a 35,000 square foot Nordstrom Rack store, the creation of 263 new parking spaces at the former Firestone Tire location, and a new internal roadway linking the inner ring road to the Metropolitan Drive/State Route 22 off- and on-ramp intersection. Further phases of the expansion will create 70,000 additional square feet of retail at The Block.
As part of the effort to rebrand the center to the Outlets at Orange, the mall has attracted a number of upscale outlet stores. Premium outlets include: Last Call by Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5TH, DKNY, Banana Republic Factory Store, and Calvin Klein. Other tenants of note include the new Sports Authority and the Buffalo Wild Wings Restaurant.
Wahoo’s Fish Tacos
Wahoo’s Fish Taco opened its first Orange location at 234 West Chapman Avenue, near the corner of Lemon Street and Chapman Avenue in Old Towne. With financial assistance from the Orange Redevelopment Agency, Wahoo’s undertook an ambitious project to restore the Vineland Hotel building that dates to 1886. The City of Orange Community Development Department/Planning and Building Divisions worked to ensure that the project met all local, state and federal laws and ordinances.
The restoration project included: • Removing a non-historical façade • Seismically retrofitting the building • Bringing the building up to current Americans with Disabilities Act standards • Converting the building into a restaurant and retail space while complying with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Old Towne Historic District
Ruby’s Diner Orange Depot and Streamliner Lounge
The Orange Redevelopment Agency acquired the Santa Fe Depot in 1989 and has made improvements to the Santa Fe Depot building so that it can be operated as a restaurant. Ruby’s signed a lease with the Agency in 2009 to open a diner in the building
Ruby’s completely refreshed the historic building, including adding design touches reminiscent of Los Angeles Union Station, to take diners back to the heyday of the Santa Fe Depot Building, which was originally built in 1938. The new Ruby’s restaurant evokes the history of the Santa Fe Depot Building with model trains suspended from the ceiling and features a bar and lounge area with a tantalizing appetizer menu unique to this location.
Bruxie transformed the culinary landscape when it turned Dairy Treat, the venerable burger and shake shack on the corner of Palm and Glassell, into a food mecca. With a quixotic mix of waffle sandwiches and desserts, real frozen custard, and cane sugar sodas, it is no wonder that Bruxie was ranked number two in the entire country on Yelp in 2011.
Marshall’s opened its 11th store in Orange County at 1407 West Chapman Avenue in 2011. The store occupies the former Circuit City building in the Ralph’s shopping center at Chapman Avenue and Main Street. The new Marshall’s is the first located in the City of Orange.
The new tower at C Children’s Hospital of Orange County (CHOC) is on track to open in spring 2013. The new tower will include: • State-of-the-art emergency department, operating rooms, pathology lab, radiology and imaging services • Pediatric heart and cancer services • Cardiac catheterization labs • Outdoor play area • Family resource center • Meditation room • Café with outdoor seating • Teen activity rooms As part of the CHOC expansion, the City of Orange, acting as the Successor Agency for the Orange Redevelopment Agency, is funding $1.3 million in public improvements. The improvements include street light upgrades, curb and gutter improvements, water and sewer line upgrades, and landscaping improvements.
UCI Medical Center
In 2009, UCI made a major investment in the City of Orange by opening a new state of the art hospital. The UC Irvine Douglas Hospital is designed to treat patients with cancer, cardiac conditions, digestive diseases, neurological disorders, trauma and critical care, severe burns, urological problems and disorders of the eye, head, neck and spine.
UCI Medical Center is Orange County’s only university hospital and is named one of U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Hospitals.