About The CityOfficialsDepartmentsServicesCalendarFAQSContact Us
Homepage > City Departments > Economic Development > Economic Development FAQsE-mail storyPrint friendly format

Economic Development


Do I need a permit to film in the city?
A permit is required if any production activity occurs in the public right-of-way. Production activity includes filming, personnel or equipment placement, and vehicle parking.  A permit is not required if all production activity is completely contained on private property. For information purposes only, a production company filming on private property is asked to complete the permit application form. The information is kept on file in case the city receives calls from community members.  For more information, please contact the Economic Development Department at (714) 288-2580.

How do Redevelopment Agencies secure funds?
The state law makes available to redevelopment agencies a method of obtaining funds called "tax increment financing." On the date the city council approves a redevelopment plan, the property within the boundaries of the plan has a certain total property tax value. If this total assessed valuation increases, most of the taxes that are derived from the increase go to the redevelopment agency. These funds are called "tax increments." Usually, the flow of tax increment revenues to the agency will not be sufficient in itself to finance the full scope of redevelopment activities and development projects. Therefore, agencies issue bonds. These bonds are not a debt of the city or county and are repaid solely from tax increment revenue. Tax increments can be used only in the same project that generates them, except for residential projects, which benefit low- and moderate-income households.

Of what benefit to a citizen is being in a Redevelopment Project Area?
Redevelopment is one of the most effective ways to breathe new life into deteriorated areas plagued by social, physical, environmental or economic conditions that act as a barrier to new investment by private enterprise. Through redevelopment, a project area will receive focused attention and financial investment to reverse deteriorating trends, create jobs, revitalize the business climate, rehabilitate and add to the housing stock, and gain active participation and investment by citizens which would not otherwise occur.

What do I need to submit a complete Land Use Application to the City of Orange.
The City of Orange Land Use Application Packet provides a submittal checklist along with plan submittal requirements, and water quality management plan information.

What is a Project Area?
A project area is the area within which actual redevelopment will take place. The project area must first go to public hearing (giving citizens who will be included in the project area a chance to express their views) after which the redevelopment agency acts on the adoption of the project area and becomes primarily responsible for future projects.

What is a Redevelopment Plan?
A redevelopment plan represents a process and a basic framework within which specific projects will be undertaken. The plan provides the agency with powers to take certain actions such as to buy and sell land within the area covered by the plan (project area), improving dilapidated facilities and to use tax increment financing.

What is the Industrial Development Authority and how does it work?
The Industrial Development Bond Program provides manufacturers seeking an alternative source of funds to finance capital expenditures and land acquisition in Orange.  The Industrial Development Authority of the City of Orange (“IDA”) acts as the issuer for the “tax-exempt” industrial bonds.  General requirements include applicant must be a “manufacturing company” requesting $1 to $10 million and the applicant must secure a letter of credit in the amount of bond issue from a bank.  Through the State of California and the Industrial Development Authority of the City of Orange, qualifying applicants can secure tax-exempt bond issues at competitive interest rates. For more information regarding the application process, please contact the Economic Development Division at 714-288-2580.

What other resources are available to businesses?
The Small Business Administration (SBA) offers loans and grants, contracting opportunities, business mentoring, and low or no cost classes for businesses.

The Orange Chamber of Commerce represents the interests of businesses in the City of Orange.

Who do I contact about filming in Orange?
For commercial filming and still shoot photography, please contact Paul Sitkoff at (714) 288-2590 or psitkoff@cityoforange.org for assistance. Sally Trejo coordinates student film permits. She can be reached at (714) 288-2596 or strejo@cityoforange.org.

Why do we have Redevelopment Projects?
The basic reason for establishing redevelopment projects is to secure funds that can be used to attract commercial, industrial, and residential development in order to eliminate blight and improve an area.

Will property taxes be raised?
It is important to note that higher taxes from the sale, development or rehabilitation of property reflects a rise in property value and not an increase in tax rate. Until a property is improved or sold, assessed values and tax rates in redevelopment areas are restricted by Proposition 13 limitations.

Copyright 2002 - 2015 City of Orange, CA Powered by