Can I put up a sign on telephone poles? No sign may be placed or maintained upon any portion of a public right-of-way, including street signs, street trees or utility poles.
Do I need a permit for a new swimming pool? Please contact Permit Services at 714.744.7200 for information regarding swimming pool permits.
Do I need a permit for a yard or garage sale?
Garage or Yard Sales
1. A sales event shall take place at one address no more than once every four months. However, the Community Development Director may authorize one additional sales events at one address within a four month period. Any person aggrieved by the action of the Community Development Director either authorizing or denying an additional sales event shall have the right to appeal the matter to the City Council for final determination.
2. A sales event may continue for up to a maximum of four consecutive days. When a sales event has begun and is actually interrupted by inclement weather, the sales event period may be extended by an additional sales day for each day of actual interruption until there is a total of not more than four sales days.
3. A sales event shall take place between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.
4. Items to be sold at a sales event shall be “used” items which were part of a reasonable household use. No merchandise or new goods shall be brought in from another location for the purpose of being displayed or sold at a sales event. The term “a reasonable household use” shall be construed broadly in favor of the sale of the item.
5. No sign advertising the sales event may be placed or maintained upon any portion of a public right-of-way, including street signs, street trees or utility poles.
6. No item for sale or advertising sign shall obstruct any street, sidewalk, parkway, or driveway.
7. Any violation of this subsection shall be considered an infraction.
Do I need a permit for my business sign? Yes, please contact the Current Planning Division of the Community Development Department at 714.744.7220 for more information.
I am building a new house. Which departments should I talk to? You should contact the Building Division of the Community Development Department at 714.744.7200.
I am remodeling my house. What permits do I need? Please contact Permit Services at 714.744.7200.
I need a license for the sale of alcohol. A conditional use permit is required for both on-sale and off-sale of alcoholic beverages. Please contact the Current Planning Division of the Community Development Department at 714.744.7220 for more information.
I want to complain about a car parked on someone’s lawn. Please contact Code Compliance at 714.744.5555.
I want to complain about a fence. Please contact Code Enforcement at 714.744.5555.
I want to complain about an illegal addition on a home. Please contact Code Compliance at 714.744.5555.
I want to complain about construction noise. Please contact Code Enforcement at 714.744.5555.
I want to hold an outdoor / open-air event... do I need a permit? A special event is an organized activity of limited duration conducted on private property and open to the public. Special events may be a 5K/10K Walk, a grand opening with a band playing, a health fair, a carnival, etc. The permit regulates the time, manner, location and duration of the temporary event.
· An application packet, including a Certificate of Liability and separate endorsement, must be submitted no later than three (3) weeks prior to the event or three (3) months if a street closure is requested. Any street closure, carnivals or circuses require City Council approval. The event shall not be operated longer than nine (9) consecutive days.
· The cost of the permit is $60.
· A cash bond may be required to cover any City services that may be required; the unused portion will be refunded.
· In addition to the completed application packet, a Certificate of Liability Insurance with the City of Orange named as the certificate holder and a separate endorsement page specifically naming the City of Orange as an additional insured must be submitted.
If you are anticipating a Special Event, contact Kathy McTaggart, Special Events Coordinator at (714) 744-7244.
I want to know more about the city ordinances that concern my property. Please contact the Current Planning Division of the Community Development Department at 714.744.7220.
I want to report an abandoned vehicle. Please contact Code Compliance at 714.744.5555
What are the city restrictions on operating/parking recreation vehicles (RV's)?
The most up-to-date answers regarding recreation vehicles (RV) parking can be found in this document.
What is a conditional use permit? A conditional use permit is required for certain types of land use, due to the nature of the use, require special individual review. Such review is required to determine whether the proposed use, or the location of the use, is compatible with surrounding uses or can be made compatible through the imposition of development conditions. Contact the Community Development Department at 714.744.7220 for more information.
What is a certificate of occupancy permit? A "Certificate of Occupancy" is a document that is produced by the Building Official after completion of most new construction and if there is a change in occupancy type (as defined in the Building Code) within an existing structure. (Exception: New single family homes and residential garages and storage buildings.)
Where can I report a Code Compliance violation? The City offers several avenues for reporting a violation:
1) Contact Code Compliance directly at (714) 744-7244 during normal business hours.
2) Contact the 24-Hour Violation Reporting Hotline at (714) 744-5555. This is a voice mailbox which will accept messages 24 hours a day, and is maintained by the Code Enforcement Department. This line is for non-emergency calls only.
3) City Hotline at (714) 744-5511. This is a 24 hour voicemail hotline that is maintained by the City Manager and City Council Offices. Again, this is for non-emergency issues only.