Can I put up a sign on telephone poles? No sign may be placed or maintained upon any portion of a public right-of-way, including street signs, street trees, or utility poles.
Do I need a permit for a new swimming pool? Please contact Permit Services at (714) 744-7200 for information regarding swimming pool permits.
Do I need a permit for my business sign? Yes, please contact the Current Planning Division of the Community Development Department at (714) 744-7220 for more information.
How do I obtain a license for the sale of alcohol? A conditional use permit is required for both on-sale and off-sale of alcoholic beverages. Please contact the Current Planning Division of the Community Development Department at (714) 744-7220 for more information.
I am building a new house. Which departments should I talk to? You should contact the Building Division of the Community Development Department at (714) 744-7200 for more information.
I am remodeling my house. What permits do I need? Please contact Permit Services at (714) 744-7200 for more information.
I want to hold an outdoor / open-air event... do I need a permit? A special event is an organized activity of limited duration conducted on private property and open to the public. Special events may be a 5K/10K Walk, a grand opening with a band playing, a health fair, a carnival...etc. The permit regulates the time, manner, location, and duration of the temporary event.
· An application packet, including a Certificate of Liability naming the City of Orange as certificate holder and separate endorsement naming the City of Orange as additional insured, must be submitted no later than four weeks prior to the event, or three months if a street closure is requested. Any street closure, carnival, or circus requires City Council approval. The event shall not be operated longer than nine consecutive days.
· The cost of the permit is $60.
· A cash bond may be required to cover any City services that may be required; the unused portion will be refunded.
If you are anticipating a Special Event, contact Kathy McTaggart, Special Events Coordinator at (714) 744-7244.
I want to know more about the city ordinances that concern my property. Please contact the Current Planning Division of the Community Development Department at (714) 744-7220 for more information.
I would like to report a car parked on someone’s lawn. Please contact Code Enforcement at (714) 744-5555.
I would like to report a fence that does not meet code requirements. Please contact Code Enforcement at (714) 744-5555.
I would like to report an abandoned vehicle. For abandoned vehicles on public property, such as a City street, call the Orange Police Department's Abandoned Vehicle Hotline at (714) 744-7473.
For inoperative, abandoned, wrecked, or unregistered vehicles on private property, please contact Code Enforcement at (714) 744-5555.
When you call, please provide the vehicle's license plate number, a description of the vehicle, the location of the vehicle, and an estimate of how long the vehicles has been parked.
I would like to report an illegal addition on a home. Please contact Code Enforcement at (714) 744-5555.
I would like to report construction noise. Please contact Code Enforcement at (714) 744-5555.
I would like to report graffiti. Community members can help by immediately reporting graffiti and tagging to the City of Orange. Please call the City's Graffiti Hotline at (714) 744-7279 and leave your name, phone number, and a detailed description of the location of the graffiti.
If you would prefer to report graffiti or tagging via e-mail, please send an e-mail to email@example.com. Please include the following information:
1. The address where the graffiti is located - For example, "123 N. Main St." or "At the intersection of La Veta and Cambridge."
2. The location of the graffiti (be as detailed as possible) - Such as, "On the south-west block wall," or "On the stop sign facing east."
3. Your phone number - This information is needed in case the graffiti removal staff needs more information.
What are the City regulations regarding a yard or garage sale?
Garage or Yard Sales
1. A sales event shall take place at one address no more than once every four months. However, the Community Development Director may authorize one additional sales events at one address within a four month period. Any person aggrieved by the action of the Community Development Director either authorizing or denying an additional sales event shall have the right to appeal the matter to the City Council for final determination.
2. A sales event may continue for up to a maximum of four consecutive days. When a sales event has begun and is actually interrupted by inclement weather, the sales event period may be extended by an additional sales day for each day of actual interruption until there is a total of not more than four sales days.
3. A sales event shall take place between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.
4. Items to be sold at a sales event shall be “used” items which were part of a reasonable household use. No merchandise or new goods shall be brought in from another location for the purpose of being displayed or sold at a sales event. The term “a reasonable household use” shall be construed broadly in favor of the sale of the item.
5. No sign advertising the sales event may be placed or maintained upon any portion of a public right-of-way, including street signs, street trees or utility poles.
6. No item for sale or advertising sign shall obstruct any street, sidewalk, parkway, or driveway.
7. Any violation of this subsection shall be considered an infraction.
What are the City restrictions on operating/parking recreation vehicles (RV's)?
The most up-to-date answers regarding recreation vehicles (RV) parking can be found in this document.
What is a conditional use permit? A conditional use permit is required for certain types of land use that require special individual review due to the nature of the use. Such review is required to determine whether the proposed use, or the location of the use, is compatible with surrounding uses or can be made compatible through the imposition of development conditions. Please contact the Community Development Department at (714) 744-7220 for more information.
What is a certificate of occupancy permit? A "Certificate of Occupancy" is a document that is produced by the Building Official after completion of most new construction and if there is a change in occupancy type (as defined in the Building Code) within an existing structure. (Exceptions: New single family homes, residential garages, and storage buildings.)
Where can I report a Code Compliance violation? The City offers several avenues for reporting a violation:
1) Contact Code Enforcement directly at (714) 744-7244 during normal business hours.
2) Contact the 24-Hour Violation Reporting Hotline at (714) 744-5555. This is a voice mailbox which will accept messages 24 hours a day, and is maintained by Code Enforcement. This line is for non-emergency calls only.
3) Contact the City Hotline at (714) 744-5511. This is a 24 hour voicemail hotline that is maintained by the City Manager and City Council Offices. Again, this is for non-emergency issues only.