About The CityOfficialsDepartmentsServicesCalendarFAQSContact Us
Homepage > City Departments > City Attorney > FAQ'sE-mail storyPrint friendly format

City Attorney


Can the City Attorney advise citizens in legal matters?
No.  The City Attorney cannot advise private citizens in legal matters.  The City Attorney represents/advises the City Council, Planning Commission, City Departments, and other agencies, boards, commissions and committees.  However, the Orange County Legal Aid Society (800) 834-5001 or (714) 572-5200 or the Orange County Lawyers Referral Service (949) 440-6747 may be helpful in seeking legal representation and/or answer general legal questions.

How can I get a copy of an Orange Municipal Code Section?
To obtain a copy of an Orange Municipal Code Section, click here. 

My neighbor's tree is hanging over my yard, what can I do?
This is a private civil matter that the City has no jurisdiction over. You should try to resolve the matter by talking to your neighbor.

Procedure for filing a claim against the City of Orange.
To file a claim against the City, you must serve the claim, either by mail or personal delivery, at the City Clerk's Office, 300 East Chapman Avenue, Orange, CA  92866, within six months of the date of the incident.  You may contact the City Clerk to obtain a claim form by mail by calling (714) 744-5500.

What is the difference between the City Attorney and the District Attorney?
The City Attorney is appointed by the City Council and is the attorney for the City of Orange. The City Attorney provides legal services for the Mayor, City Council, Redevelopment Agency and the various agencies, boards, commissions, committees and departments of the City of Orange. The City Attorney prosecutes violations of the Orange Municipal Code, but not any state code violations.  The District Attorney is an elected official who prosecutes state criminal laws throughout Orange County.

Where and how do I file a Small Claims Action?
A Small claims Action is filed at the Orange County Superior Court, 700 Civic Center Drive West, Santa Ana, California.  For instructions on filing a Small Claims Action, click here.

Where can I get a copy of a birth certificate, marriage license information, or a death certificate?
The County Recorder of Orange County will have these documents available for you to view or obtain copies.

Who do I contact if a business in Orange has defaulted in performing a requested and paid for service, and/or moved?
You can contact the Department of Consumer Affairs (213) 974-1452 or the Better Business Bureau (714) 527-0680.

Copyright 2002 - 2017 City of Orange, CA Powered by