Library Board of Trustees
The Library Board of Trustees consists of five members appointed by the City Council. Each term is for three years, after which the board member must be re-appointed.
Current Board Member
- Steven Freeman, Chair
- Nancy Collins, Vice-Chair
- Patti vanVoorst, Trustee
- Marva Hitchcock, Trustee
- Rebecca Martinez, Trustee
Current and Previous Agendas and Minutes
The mission of the Orange Public Library Board of Trustees is to support the Orange Public Library, and work in partnership with the library staff to provide programs and resources that seek to inform, educate, and enrich the Orange community, and insure the preservation of Orange local history.
To fulfill this mission, the Board of Trustees’ goals include:
- Strengthen the position of the Orange Public Library as the information center for the community
- Develop and approve policies and regulations that reflect the needs of Orange residents and governs library services
- Advocate literacy for all ages
- Seek input from the public to determine their wants and desires
- Help promote and expand the unique, community generated collection in the Local History Center
- Work with the library staff in the vision, planning and goal setting for the Library’s future
Extend the scope and reach of the Library, outside its physical facilities and traditional physical collection, including alliances with business, educational organizations, and civic groups
Work and coordinate resources with library support organizations, including the Friends of the Orange Public Library and the Orange Public Library Foundation
The Orange Public Library Board of Trustees consists of five (5) trustees serving in an advisory capacity, and is established under the California Education Code Sections 18910-18927. The Orange City Council appoints trustees to staggered three-year renewable terms. Although the Board generally functions in an advisory capacity, it is responsible for library policies and regulations. Monthly meetings of the Board of Trustees are open to the public, and are subject to the provisions of the Ralph M. Brown Act and the Orange Public Library Board of Trustees By-laws.