1870s

1871


Town site of Richland (later Orange) established by 2 Los Angeles Attorneys, A. B. Chapman and Andrew Glassell. A Los Angeles County surveyor divides the tract into 8 5-acre blocks with 20 lots in each block. Eight lots were reserved in the middle of town for a plaza.







1872


Richland subdivision placed on the market by Chapman and Glassell. Captain William T. Glassell, Andrew's brother and a former Confederate Navy officer, is hired as Tract Agent. The first building in Richland is Captain Glassell's 2-room home and tract office on the west side of the Plaza Square, just south of Chapman Avenue. The first orange trees in the city are planted outside his office.




1873


The application for a post office for the town brings to light that there already was a Richland, California. The name of the town was changed to Orange (named after the Glassell family's home county in Virginia). The first Post Office opens September 1st on the west side of North Glassell St.



1874


Business begins moving south of the Plaza. Dr. Beach erects the first 2-story building on the southeast corner of Glassell Street and the Plaza. Mr. Cuddeback constructs the two-story lime, cement, sand and gravel Plaza Hotel, Sanitarium and Bathhouse, which is the first structure not made of wood (lime burnt by Sam Shrewsbury in Limestone Canyon in the Santa Ana Mountains and the cement shipped from Belgium).

1875


Unimproved land sells at $75 to $100 an acre; improved land, $100 to $300. Businesses in Orange include:
  • Andrus and Parker Drugstore and Notions
  • 2 Blacksmiths, C. M. Marshall and J. W Strode
  • Builders Dimmick and Curtis
  • 2 General Merchandise stores kept by J. W Anderson and Co. and R. Crowder and Co.
  • Lockhard Brothers and Parke Real Estate
  • Mr. Howe's Butcher Shop
  • Mr. Straw's Cabinet Shop
  • Neil and Company Livery Stable
  • 2 Saloons
  • Stationery and Bookstore owned by J. C. Edwards
Map
Richland District Clip
Historical Photo - walkway with lamposts and trees
Historical Photo - building with many windows
Historical Photo - drawing of the town from a distance

1876


A group of local stockholders organize the Orange Water Company, which provides well water to downtown Orange residents. The first well is on the north side of the Plaza, and the second near the southwest corner.

1877


Santa Ana Valley Irrigation Co. is formed to serve 2,000 acres of farmland in and around Orange, Santa Ana and Tustin with water from the Santa Ana River. A.B. Clark of Orange, a pioneer citrus rancher, becomes its first president.